A major sporting event took place in Poronaysk last weekend. 21 August, the Russian mas-wrestling championship among men and women in the weight category was held here 125+ and 85+. Significant tournament, which was also attended by the world elite of this sport, coincided with the celebration of the 152th anniversary of the city.
The Republic of Sakha is considered the birthplace of mas-wrestling (Yakutia). “Mass” translated from Yakut means “wood”, but“restling” - from English - “fight”. This name was invented to promote this martial art., which is being done with great success. Today mas-wrestling is developing on all continents in 50 countries of the world. In Russia, it was accredited in 2015 and in just six years of development reached Sakhalin.
The venue for the competition was not chosen by chance. Sports and healthy lifestyle enthusiast Evgeny Borozna lives and works in Poronaysk - President of the Sakhalin Mas-Wrestling Federation, silver medalist of the international tournament of the CIS countries, Master of Sports of Russia, repeatedly entered the Guinness Book of Records.
- The leadership of the All-Russian Mas-Wrestling Federation supports regional enthusiasts. We believe, that your fellow countryman Yevgeny Borozna has done a great job in a relatively short time. He managed to educate the master of sports of Russia in mas-wrestling, and also train two certified trainers at the Churapchinsky State Institute of Physical Culture and Sports. This is a great achievement., not every region can boast of such results. Therefore, he showed himself as an active member of our large organization., And we, sure, we cannot but pay attention to this. Since our country is very large, we want, for the Sakhalin region to mark the eastern border of this sport, - commented the vice-president of the International Mas-Wrestling Federation Lena Tomskaya.
The championship of Russia was attended by 18 people from seven regions - Sakhalin, Sverdlovsk, Smolensk, Kaluga regions, Primorsky and Khabarovsk Territories, as well as from the Republic of Sakha (Yakutia). This tournament became a selection for the European Championship, to be held in Turkey 18 September. Besides, athletes, 1st to 3rd places, also competed for a place in the national team of the country.
On this day, Poronaysk became the epicenter of attention not only for Russian mas-wrestlers, but of the whole world. The high rating of the competition was given by the participation of three international masters of sports, the world elite of this sport. This is a nine-time absolute champion of Russia, three-time absolute European champion, winner of the World Cup stage Viktor Kolibabchuk (Smolensk region); world champion, World Cup winner, three-time champion of Russia, absolute winner of the Spartakiad in national sports “Manchaara Games” Sergey Frolkin (Yakutia); winner of the Championships of Russia, champion of Russia, winner of an international tournament “Colmar Cup”, world champion Ivan Galkin (Kaluga region). Besides, Tatyana Baisheva, the winner of the Russian championship among juniors, took part in the competition, Spartakiad winner “Manchaara Games”, daughter of the famous Yakut mas-wrestler Anatoly Baishev. The Sakhalin Region was represented by residents of Poronaysk - Evgeny Borozna and candidates for master of sports Fedor Abramov, Artem Tarasov, Nikolai Ivanov.
- The Russian Mas-Wrestling Championship is being held on the territory of the Sakhalin Region for the first time. This is a significant event for us, and the status of the event suggests, that this sport is in demand, they want to do it, and that's great, - Acting Minister of Sports of the Sakhalin Region Artem Podshivalov addressed the participants and congratulated the residents of Poronaysk on the City Day.
A stubborn struggle for medals of the Russian championship unfolded on the stage. One of the brightest fights was the meeting of Viktor Kolibabchuk (140 kg) with an athlete from the Sverdlovsk region Alexander Kuznetsov (99 kg). The difference in weight between mas-wrestlers is 41 kg. Most of the audience loudly supported Kuznetsov, who was clearly losing weight, but made the heavyweight put in a lot of effort, to win this long fight. As a result, Kolibabchuk won.
- It was, sure, fearfully, but i believed, that I can win. Tried very hard, but, Unfortunately, it didn't work this time. It will turn out in the next! - Alexander Kuznetsov assured. - I have heard, how the inhabitants of Poronaysk supported me. It was, honestly, pleasant and unexpected.
But the most spectacular fight was the fight in the final for the 1st place between Viktor Kolibabchuk (140 kg) and Sergey Frolkin (132 kg). Two mas-wrestling stars met, and everyone had a chance to win. In the first fight, Frolkin snatched her. But Kolibabchuk filed a protest. He declared, that at the start, the opponent's leg went beyond the line of the central area of the platform, what, according to the rules, forbidden. Main judge, by watching the recording of the fight, agreed with the protest, and Frolkin's first victory was not counted. In the next fight, the Yakut athlete won again. In the third fight, Kolibabchuk gave the victory to Frolkin without a fight.
- All opponents are strong, the status of the competition meets all the requirements and level. The Absolute Championship of Russia is a famous grandiose competition, the most powerful in Russia, where athletes from all regions come, so there are no weak ones here. Competition has always been and will be in our sport, - noted Victor Kolibabchuk. - We are pleased to be on Sakhalin. There are many beautiful places here, wonderful nature, and the residents of Poronaysk greeted us very warmly.
According to the results of the competition among men, Sergey Frolkin won gold (Saha Republic (Yakutia), silver - Victor Kolibabchuk (Smolensk region), bronze - Alexander Gulyaev (Sverdlovsk region) and Artem Vetrov (Saha Republic (Yakutia). Yakut athlete Tatyana Baisheva became the first among women, the second - Svetlana Tikhonova from the Sverdlovsk region, third place was shared by Kaluga mas-wrestlers Elena Nezhivova and Mokhinur Abduzoirova.
- I rate the competition 10 out of 10, very powerful. Worthy rivals, and I am very glad, what won. The organization of the tournament is at a good level, we were very well received here, - said Tatiana Baisheva.
The Russian Mas-Wrestling Championship was held within the framework of a grant from the Government of the Sakhalin Region “Путь к успеху”. Организатором состязаний выступил региональный центр спортивной подготовки. Помощь в организации также оказали администрация Поронайска и депутаты Сахалинской областной думы, сообщает ИА Сах.ком со ссылкой на пресс-службу областного минспорта.